LIEUTENANT COLONEL LINDA M. VADNAIS
Lieutenant Colonel Linda M. Vadnais is the Commander of Detachment 128 United States Air Force Reserve Officer Training Program (AFROTC) located at the University of Delaware. She commands, leads and directs a college level officer training program while chairing the Department of Aerospace Studies in her role as a full-professor
Lieutenant Colonel Vadnais came on active duty in 1996, entering the U.S. Air Force as a graduate of the Reserve Officers Training Corps program at University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She earned her navigator wings at NAS Pensacola, FL in 1998. Lieutenant Colonel Vadnais has served as an instructor in the B-1B, EA-6B, and T-1A.
As a Weapons System Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Vadnais has twice deployed with the B-1B, flying combat missions in support of operation ENDURING FREEDOM. In 2004 and 2005, she flew combat missions from Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan as an EA-6B EWO. Her last deployment was to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, were she was the Director of Operations for the Electronic Warfare Coordination Cell, supporting operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and NEW DAWN. She also served as the Chief of Offensive Operations and a Pacific Air Watch Officer at the 613 Air and Space Operations Center, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.
Prior to assuming duties as the Commander of Detachment 128, Lieutenant Colonel Vadnais was the Air Force Chief of Safety at Undergraduate Combat Systems Officer training, Naval Air Station Pensacola.
Lieutenant Colonel Vadnais is a Master Navigator with over 2,200 hours including 730 combat hours.
- 1996 Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- 2002 Squadron Office School, Maxwell AFB, AL
- 2006 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
- 2009 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle aeronautical University, Daytona, FL 2013 Air War College (Correspondence)
- July 1996 – February 1997, Special Assistant to Commander, Detachment 10, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- February 1997 – June 1997, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 14th Flying Training Group, Columbus AFB, MS
- June 1997 – March 1999, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training and Electronic Warfare Officer Training, 325th Flying Training Wing, NAS Pensacola, FL
- April 1999 – November 2000, Student, B-1B Initial Qualification Course, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
- November 2000 – May 2002, Weapons & Tactics Officer, B-1B WSO, 34th Bomb Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, ID
- May 2002 – March 2004, Student, EA-6B EWO Transition Course / Flight Commander Personnel Division, VAQ-129, NAS Whidbey Island, WA
- March 2004 – November 2005, Assistant Operations Officer / Department Head Logistics and Mobility, EA-6B IEWO, VAQ-134, NAS Whidbey Island, WA
- November 2005 – March 2006, Student, B-1B Requalification Course, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
- October 2006 – July 2007, Chief Plans and Programs, B-1B WSO, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
- July 2007 – September 2009, Assistant Director of Operations / Chief Aircrew Flight Equipment, B-1B IWSO, 7th Operational Support Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
- September 2009 – July 2012, Pacific Air Watch Officer / Chief Offensive Operations, 613th Air and Space Operations Center, Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, HI
- August 2012 – February 2013, Upgrading Instructor CSO, 451st Flying Training Squadron, NAS Pensacola, FL 15. February 2013 – March 2014, Chief Combined Unit Inspection Manager, Instructor CSO, 479th Flying Training Group, NAS Pensacola, FL
- March 2014 – July 2015, Chief of Safety, Instructor CSO, 12th Flying Training Wing, NAS Pensacola, FL
- August 2015 – Present, Commander, AFROTC Detachment 128, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- Rating: Master Navigator
- Flight Hours: More than 2,200 including 730 in combat
- Aircraft flown: T-34, T-39, T-1A, B-1B and EA-6B aircraft
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
- Aerial Achievement Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Force
- Achievement Medal
- Navy Achievement Medal
- Air Force Combat Action Medal
- Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters National Defense Service Medal
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one bronze star Global War on Terrorism
- Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Second Lieutenant – 10 May 1996
- First Lieutenant – 10 May 1998
- Captain – 10 May 2000
- Major – 1 March 2006
- Lieutenant Colonel – 1 September 2011
(Current as of Mar 2017)
CAPTAIN MICHELLE E. ROGERS
Recruiting Flight Commander
Capt. Michelle Rogers is the Recruiting Flight Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Det. 128, University of Delaware in Newark, Del. She is responsible for recruiting, training, motivating and counseling highly qualified young men and women as prospective Air Force officers. Captain Rogers also serves as the Assistant Professor of Aerospace Science for freshmen and sophomores.
Capt. Rogers enlisted in the Air Force Reserve in 1997 as a Personnelist serving in various capacities within the Human Resources field. She was commissioned through the Deserving Airman Program in 2009 as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer where she managed maintenance teams, programs and processes in support of operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and New Dawn.
She previously served as the 512th Maintenance Group Executive Officer, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
- 2002 Airman Leadership School by Correspondence Course, Maxwell, AFB, Ala.
- 2002 Associate of Applied Science degree in human resource management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2004 Bachelor of Science degree in psychology, Wilmington University, Dover, Del.
- 2006 Master of Science degree in human resource management, Wilmington University, Dover, Del.
- 2006 NCO Academy by correspondence Course, Maxwell, AFB, Ala.
- 2008 Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2009 Aircraft Maintenance Munitions Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
- 2013 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB Ala.
- 2016 Master Resiliency Trainer Course, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
- 2016 Assistant Professor of Aerospace Science Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- July 1997 – May 1998, Personnel Craftsman, 913th Security Forces Squadron, Willow Grove ARB, Penn.
- May 1998 – February 2005, Personnel Journeyman, 512th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
- February 2005 – September 2007, NCO In Charge, Commander Support Staff, 512th Maintenance Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
- September 2007 – June 2009, NCO In Charge, Orderly Room 712th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
- June 2009 – February 2011, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 512th Maintenance Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
- February 2011 – June 2016, Executive Officer, 512th Maintenance Group, Dover AFB, Del.
- June 2016 – Present, Recruiting Flight Commander, AFROTC Det. 128, University of Delaware, Newark, Del.
- Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Meritorious Unit Award
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver cluster
- Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with silver cluster
- National Defense Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Air Force Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with “M” device
- Air Force NCO Professional Military Education Graduate Ribbon
- Air Force Training Ribbon with device
- Airman Basic July 3, 1997
- Airman May 1, 1998
- Airman 1st Class Nov. 1, 1998
- Senior Airman July 1, 1999
- Staff Sergeant May 1, 2002
- Technical Sergeant April 1, 2004
- Master Sergeant July 1, 2006
- Second Lieutenant June 2, 2009
- First Lieutenant June 2, 2011
- Captain June 2, 2013
(Current as of Aug 2016)
CAPTAIN LAURA A. COVALESKY
Operations Flight Commander
Captain Laura A. Covalesky is the Operations Flight Commander of Detachment 128 United States Air Force Reserve Officer Training Program (AFROTC) located at the University of Delaware. She trains, leads, and mentors the cadet wing while acting as an Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies.
Captain Covalesky received her commission through the AFROTC program at the University of Pittsburgh in May 2011. After completing Logistics Readiness Officer Basic Course at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio Texas, Captain Covalesky served as the Officer in Charge of the Deployment and Distribution Section at Dyess Air Force Base, Abilene, Texas. During her time at Dyess AFB, she also served as Flight Commander, operations Compliance Flight, 7th Mission Support Group Executive Officer, and 7th Bomb wing installation Deployment Officer.
Prior to assuming duties as the Operations Flight Commander of Detachment 128, Captain Covalesky served as the Recruiting Flight Commander, Air Force ROTC Detachment 128. She managed the recruiting and retention operations for the Detachment.
Captain Covalesky is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is married to her husband Dan, who previously served in the United States Army. Capt and Dan Covalesky recently welcomed their first child into the world, Daniel Russell Covalesky, III.
- 2011 Bachelor of Arts, Japanese Language and Culture, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2011 Certificate in Asian Studies, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2011 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, AL
- 2011 Logistics Readiness Officer Basic Course, Lackland AFB, TX
- 2013 Master’s in Business Administration, Trident University International, Cypress CA
- Aug 11–Jul 12, OIC, Deployment & Distribution, 7th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
- Jul 12–Jun 13, Flight Commander, Operations Compliance, 7th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Dyess AFB, TX
- Jun 13-Apr 14, Executive Officer, 7th Mission Support Group, Dyess AFB, TX
4. Apr 14-Jun 15, Installation Deployment Officer, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, TX
- July 2015 – Present, Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies, AFROTC Detachment 128, Newark, DE
- Air Force Commendation Medal, June 2015
- Air Force Achievement Medal, Sep 2013
- Team Dyess Company Grade Officer of the Quarter, 4th Quarter 2014
- Second Lieutenant May 2011
- First Lieutenant May 2013
- Captain May 2015
Current as of 1 Sep 2015
TECHNICAL SERGEANT ASHLY M. MASSEY
NCOIC, Administration Management
Technical Sergeant Ashly M. Massey is the NCOIC, Administration Management of Detachment 128 AFROTC, located at the University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware. Her responsibilities include monitoring and updating all cadet pay, overseeing cadet life-cycle personnel actions, managing all administrative and personnel cadet updates via the Web Intensive New Gains System. Prior to her assignment she was the NCOIC, Knowledge Operations for the 548 Operations Support Squadron, Beale AFB, California.
TSgt Massey attended Texas City High School, Texas City, Texas graduating in May 2003 and joined the United States Air Force in October, 2003. She is married to husband Maurice and they have three children: Maurice Jr, Alyse and Brayden.
- 2009 Airmen Leadership School
- 2009 Applied Associates, Information/Human Resources, Community College Air Force
- 2015 Bachelor of Science in Business/Human Resource Management, University of Phoenix
- 2016 NCO Academy
- Oct 2003 – Nov 2003: Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX
- Nov 2003 – Feb 2004: Information Management Apprentice Training, Keesler AFB, MS
- Feb 2004 – Feb 2008: FOIA/Publications/Content Manager Technician, Patrick AFB, FL
- Feb 2008 – Feb 2011: Information Systems/Data Manger/Executive Assistant/NCOIC
Manpower, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam AFB, HI
- Feb 2011 – Feb 2015: NCOIC, Knowledge Operations/Administration and Customer Service, Beale AFB, CA
- Feb 2015 – Present: NCOIC, Administration Management, AFROTC Detachment 128, Newark, DE
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Joint Service Achievement Medal
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Army Achievement Medal
- Airman Basic – October 2003
- Airman – April 2004
- Airman First Class – Feb 2005
- Senior Airman – October 2006
- Staff Sergeant – December 2009
- Technical Sergeant– December 15
STAFF SERGEANT TYNETTA S. KEMP
Staff Sergeant Tynetta S. Kemp is a Personnel Journeyman assigned as the NCOIC, Personnel at the AFROTC Detachment 128 University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware. Currently she has fulfilled 8 years of service with the Air Force.
SSgt Kemp was born in Elizabethtown, North Carolina on 06 June 1987. Her parents are Mr. Randy R. Colvin and Mrs. Geraldine K. Colvin. She attended West Bladen High School, Dublin, North Carolina graduating in May 2005.
Her military awards include Air Force Commendation Medal, Air Force Achievement Medal, Meritorious Unit Award with 2 devices, AF Outstanding Unit Award with 2 devices, AF Good Conduct Medal with 1 device, National Defense Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal with 1 device, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border, Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon, AF Longevity Service with 1 device, USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon, AF Training Ribbon.
- 2010 Airman Leadership School, Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
- Oct 2005 – Nov 2005: Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX
- Nov 2005 – Feb 2006: Personnel Apprentice Training, Keesler AFB, MS
- Feb 2006 – Dec 2013: Commander Support Staff, Personnel Apprentice, Retirements and Separations Counselor, Reenlistments and Extension Journeyman, Outbound Assignments Technician, Force Management Operations Supervisor, Career Development Supervisor, NCOIC, Outbound Assignments Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
- AB – Oct 2005
- AMN – Apr 2006
- A1C – Feb 2007
- SrA – Oct 2008
- SSgt – Feb 2011
Carol A. Bedgar has worked for the University of Delaware in a number of capacities for the past 20 years. She worked for the Director of Residence Life and the Office of Activities and Programs before coming to the Air Force ROTC. Currently she has fulfilled 20 years of service with the University of Delaware. She loves working with students and especially enjoys working with the military. She enjoys attending classes and having discussions with the Cadets. Before coming to the University she worked for American Airlines as a customer service agent in Pensacola, Orlando and Philadelphia.
She is divorced and the mother of two grown children and two granddaughters Abigail and Emily. Her son Matthew is currently a Naval Reservist based in Joint Base Ft Worth as a Naval Aviator and currently flying the A300 Air Bus for UPS. Her daughter Kelly teaches High School Social Studies at Hodgson Vo-Tech High School and Graduate level classes at Wilmington University in Delaware. Her son-in-law Wayne is an architectural and a historical mill and wood worker.
She was born in Freeland, MD on 4 Oct. She has an Associate of Arts degree from the University of Delaware and is currently working on her Bachelor degree in History.
She has been twice awarded the University of Delaware Merit Award, ACPA Outstanding Staff Award, Residence Life Staff Merit Award and was nominated for the Greek Life Outstanding Staff Award.
- Associate of Arts Degree, University of Delaware
- Blue Gold Administrative Certificate, University of Delaware
- Excellence in Office Management Certificate, University of Delaware
- When God hears laughter, He smiles.